So I had my Very First Pan/Kitchen/Grease Fire, while attempting a new recipe, that involved heating oil to fry some pork for sweet and sour pork...My thoughts were, I have got to get this dang fire OUT OF MY HOUSE WITHOUT burning my kitchen up, or anything else, keep and eye on the kids, and the amount of smoke quickly filling the house, open windows and doors, and extinguish this roaring pan fire safely outside the house...So I somehow managed to get the firery pan outside and set it down on my front porch, the fire was ALL in the pan THANK HEAVENS, BUT HOLY HOLY SCARY... my poor kids, Addy was in a corner crying and Rohnin was close by panicking and crying...I started opening all my windows trying to air out the dang smoke, and could NOT find my fire extinguisher, OR the baking soda, so after I got the kids in the garage, I ran over to my neighbors house, who didn't answer... I called Art, oh cause the dang pan was STILL ON FIRE with seriously HIGH FLAMES outside on the porch, and wasn't going out anytime soon, thankfully the neighbors called me back and ran some baking soda over...which quickly extinguished the pan fire...SAFELY! My neighbor then hooked up the hose to smother the remainder of the flames and smoke the pan was still giving out, after the majority of the roaring flames were extinguished, while I kept an eye on the kids and tried calming them down, while trying to calm myself down...
Can I just say I know the Lord and his angels were with me tonight, cause this WHOLE night was chaotic, I still can't believe I managed to get the dang flames out the door without even burning myself ro anything else, Those darn flames were soo scary and high...I didn't finish dinner to say the least and Art got home 20 minutes later...I DO NOT EVER WHAT TO EXPERIENCE something like this again...BUT life and trials are not for me to pick and choose from...
I have also realized WHY we are supposed to plan, prepare and practice for ANY kind of disaster, so that mistakes like tonight are avoided and prepared for...This was a bit of a scary wake up call in many areas...BUT I am truly grateful NO ONE was injured or Burned and that the only clean up that needed attending to was the convection oven, which my hubby thankfully took apart and deep cleaned, while I sat and watched a Thomas the tank engine to help calm my scared little son, nervous daughter, and my own shock and disbelief down, we went to Larry's Pizza to try and get the traumatic experience from our minds...We had a talk with Addy about fire safety and being brave and Rohnin, well the poor little guy didn't want me to put him down and kept saying scared...my lungs and eyes have been a little scratchy and sensitive and my house is a little smelly BUT everyone and thing is in tack and for that I AM BLESSED and GRATEFUL that my Heavenly Father protected this crazy pregnant lady and her family and home from a disaster that could have been SOOOO much worse...
What Have I Learned???
-Establish an exit plan for fires, and PRACTICE IT, that, and a Safe place for Tornadoes, AND PRACTICE IT!
-Pre-think of situations and problems that could potentially be life threatening or dangerous and Plan for reactions, resolutions and ways around the problems...
-The Lord and his Angels were close by tonight, and that I have been blessed with good neighbors who saved my bacon!
-I am Grateful for a CALM husband who puts up with this crazy lady when life throws us curve balls and then calmly handles the clean ups and interesting blow outs that life throws out, in the MANY different crazy situations and circumstances over the years!
-Baking Soda puts out grease fires, Which I could NOT remember OR FIND for that matter, in the heat of the moment, one of the reasons why I didn't try to extinguish the high flames with anything else, except a little corn starch, WHICH did NOT help, by the way... That and I am planning on keeping the Soda next to the stove now!
-Locate our fire extinguisher and put it is a safe place near the kitchen, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT under our sink, for some reason...
-Locate my photo albums & photo cd's and Important memorabilia and keep it in an easy accessed place...
-Keep on Praying and reading my scriptures and doing the little things so that the Lord is always close by, when my family can't be!
-TO learn a little self discipline in controlling my scared nerves in front of my children, it is Heart wrenching calming down scared little ones that you want SOO desperately to feel safe and protected...
-Realize I am human and did the best I could tonight pregnant, crazy and handicap...





1 comment:
Glad you guys are all safe. A good reminder to me about have a fire safety plan with my little ones. Thanks
Post a Comment